The year 1992 ushered in an upheaval of sorts in the country. With the political, social and economic landscape changing facades, an upsurge in the world of media and entertainment was waiting to burst open. An upsurge that would resculpt social drifts and impart new meaning to TV viewing in India. Subhash Chandra, one of India's leading entrepreneurs, who sought to create a revolution by facilitating the convergence of media and communication with a mirror into the common man's life and ways, created Zee Telefilms Limited in October 1992. This enterprise was to act as the chief content provider for Zee TV - India's first Hindi satellite channel. Zee Telefilms Limited (ZTL) is now known as Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEEL).
Very early in the aftermath of launching ZTL, Subhash Chandra entered into a joint venture with the STAR group of companies. This pact was to augment television broadcasting in India and deliver higher quality of programming content. In another development around the same time, media mogul, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp Limited acquired the rights to distribute STAR's satellite TV content. This made News Corp a de facto partner of ZEEL. To strengthen their network further, ZEEL and News Corp co-founded Siticable, a leading cable MSO. In March 2000 however, ZEEL bought News Corp's stake in both the broadcasting business and Siticable.
ZEEL, over the years has built a diverse portfolio of leading businesses and has driven initiatives that increase efficiency at every juncture of development. ZEEL has established a very strong consumer connect and is governed by a set of values that holds them in good stead in the face of changing viewer environments.
- Enters Mali with the launch of Zee Magic and Zee Cinema
- Completes the First Phase of Two-Phase Divestment of TEN Sports Network to SPN
- Launches its first radio station 106.2 big fm in the UAE
- Launches two new channels, Zee Bollymovies, a 24-hour dedicated Bollywood movie channel and Zee Bollynova, a customised GEC, in Africa
- Announces the acquisition of the General Entertainment TV Channels from Anil Ambani-led Reliance Group Entities
- Launches Zee Marathi HD, Zee Bangla HD and Zee Talkies HD
- Launches Zee Mundo - its Spanish-language Bollywood movie channel for the US Hispanic & LATAM markets
- Launches Zee Cinemalu – its Telugu movie channel
- Launches Zee Anmol Cinema – its FTA Hindi Movie channel
- Launches Zee Yuva – the first regional youthful channel targeted at Marathi audiences
- Launches Zee.One - a Bollywood movie channel for Germany
- Launches Zee Sine – a Bollywood movie channel for the Philippines
- Launches OZEE - a new digital platform
- Launches ZEAL for Unity – a historic peace initiative
- Launches Zee Theatre – India’s first M&E company to foray into theatre production
- Launches Zee Magic - the first French GEC offering Indian content to mainstream French audiences in Francophone Africa
- Acquires Sarthak TV - the number 1 GEC in Odiya language
- Launched &tv and &tv HD - A Hindi GEC for the contemporary Indian
- Launches Zee Hiburan – A GEC localised for Indonesia
- Launches Zee World - a completely customized GEC for mainstream audiences in Africa
- Launches &pictures HD and Zindagi – a premium Hindi GEC channel
- Launches & Pictures and Zee Anmol
- Launches Ditto TV - India's first and only OTT (Over-The-Top TV) Distribution Platform
- Launches Ten Golf – India's first and exclusive 24 hour Golf channel
- Launches ZeeQ - India's first Kids Edutainment Channel
- Launches Zee Alwan – Dedicated 24 Hour Arabic Channel
- ZEE's distribution arm, Zee-Turner Ltd, enters into a 50:50 JV with Star Den Media Services Pvt. Ltd. to form MediaPro Enterprise India Pvt. Ltd.
- Announces share buyback for an aggregate expendable amount not exceeding 7,000 million.
- Launches Zee Khana Khazana – India's first 24-hour food channel.
- Launches Zee Salaam - India's first Urdu infotainment satellite television channel
- Acquires stake in Ten Sports.
- Launches Ten Cricket - a dedicated 24-hour Cricket Channel.
- Launches Ten Action+ - sports channel showcasing the best football action from around the world.
- Launches India.com - Joint Venture between Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd. and Mail.com Media Corporation
- Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited (ZEE) gets listed as an independent company.
- De-merger of Zee Telefilms Limited.
- Launches 5 new channels for the DTH market viz. Action cinema, Classic cinema, MX, Premier cinema and Smile TV.
- Enters into a distribution tie-up with Rajshri Pictures for theatrical distribution of films in India.
- Launches 'Trendz' - A premium fashion and style channel, targeted at the fashion conscious Indian consumer.
- Acquires controlling stakes in ETC Networks Limited and Padmalaya Telefilms Limited.
- Introduces Zee TV and Zee News as pay television offerings.
- 'Gadar - Ek Prem Katha' became highest grossing box office movie.
- Launches Internet over Cable services - Becomes first cable company in India to do so.
- Enters into content distribution joint ventures with MGM and Viacom.
- Launches pay bouquet of channels in the Asian region.
- Acquires News Corp's 50% stake in joint ventures of their television broadcasting business tie-up.
- Launches regional channels.
- Launches Zee TV in the US.
- Institutes a prime award in the film segment called 'Zee Cine Awards'.
- Launches Zee Music (originally called Music Asia).
- Starts first cable channel in India - Siti Channel.
- Launches Zee TV, Africa.
- Commences Siticable operations Joint Venture with News Corp.
- Launches Zee News and Zee Cinema.
- Zee TV goes global - launches Zee TV, UK
- Launches Zee TV
- Initial Public Offering of Zee Telefilms Limited